IIE-SRF accepts applications from professors, researchers, and public intellectuals who face threats and cannot continue their work in their home countries. Scholars from any country and in any academic field or discipline may qualify. Applicants are assessed based on academic qualifications and experience, the quality and/or potential of their work, and the urgency of the threats that they face.
Preference is given to scholars who:
- hold a Ph.D. or highest degree in their field and have significant teaching and/or research experience at a university, college, or other institution of higher learning;
- have an established record of published research;
- demonstrate superior academic accomplishment or promise;
- are facing or have recently fled from immediate, targeted threats to their lives and/or careers in their home countries or countries of residence;
- will benefit their home and/or host academic communities.
We encourage applications from women and members of ethnic, racial, cultural, or religious minority groups, or those otherwise underrepresented in their fields.
Unfortunately, IIE-SRF typically cannot consider applications from individuals who:
- are seeking to continue their studies, including Ph.D. study, or to complete an academic training program;
- have been displaced or have resided outside their home countries for more than two years;
- hold citizenship or permanent residency in a safe second country;
- will have completed two years on a comparable fellowship or other program for threatened scholars.
Because of high demand for assistance, IIE-SRF is not able to grant fellowship support to all applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
Please direct any inquiries regarding eligibility to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the required application materials and instructions for submission here.
Applicants interested in the Baden-Württemberg Fund for Persecuted Scholars must meet the IIE-SRF eligibility criteria. Preference will be given to individuals who are referred to the program by institutions of higher learning in the state of Baden-Württemberg or who have existing ties to Baden-Württemberg and/or Germany.